October 4, 2016

Diamond Shaker Card ft. Winnie & Walter

I was determined to make a shaker card when I ordered this diamond cutaway from Winnie & Walter. I also wanted each facet to showcase a different shade and texture of a metallic color (silver, gold, and rose gold to be exact). What I forgot to take into consideration is the size of this die; for some reason I thought it would cover up an A2 size card front, and boy, was I wrong. I was skeptical about mounting the diamond outline on foam to make the shaker since the lines are so thin, but I gave it a try anyways. After hours of embossing, die-cutting, aligning and piecing all the little pieces together, this diamond really came to life and sparkled like no other. :)

I die-cutted the outline from a piece of cardstock with double sided adhesive on top. After poking out the triangular pieces and peeling off the release paper, I sprinkled on Elizabeth Craft's microfine glitter and burnished it with a bone folder. Then I die cut a piece of acetate and adhered it to the glitter die cut. 

I have this glitter tape from Heidi Swapp but I felt like it's too bold to be qualified as rose gold, so I muted down the color by coating it with Elizabeth Craft's microfine glitter. This glitter also gives a nice smooth, velvety finish.

I embossed with silver and gold embossing powders for some of the facets so that there is a difference in texture. I thought the contrast between the smooth and coarse finish as well as the discrepancy in the shades of silver and gold add quite some interest to this design. 
It is less obvious in this photo, but if you look closely you might notice that some of the diamond shapes are adhered on top of the acetate piece, while others are adhered to the bottom of the cardstock. I thought since some of the areas are too small to fill with shaker elements, I might as well adhere the pieces differently to create some dimension. 
Even though this card took a whole lot of time to execute and finish, I really like how it turned out to be the design I had in mind. I hope it has brought a little sparkle to your day, and thanks for stopping by. :)

Challenges Entered: 
 
Cas-ual Friday: Shaker Cards / Winnie & Walter: CASE W&W (I CASEd the metallic colors in Taheerah's card and made them the focal point of my card.) For a friend (I'm dedicating this to another of my high school friend.) CAS


W&W Gossip Column: Precious MetalsSSS: ATG / Word Art Wednesday 

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE all the sparkle! Amazing shaker card! Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card Jessica, the multicoloured shaker diamond it absolutely stunning, especially against a black background, the whole design is beautiful :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what a gorgeous beauty your card is ...love it to bits
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for persevering and investing all that time into this amazing card. I'm saying thank you because it was so worth it and I am so very much in love with the combination of various metallics, dimension, elements, interest and just all-round wow of this card. And then I read that you CASEd me and I just grinned from ear to ear! I feel so honoured that you made this for my challenge! Thanks for spreading The Gossip on w&w's The Gossip Column!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I can see where it would take lots of time and then I would imagine one would not want to send it to anyone and keep it instead......for a time anyway! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely amazing. Love the texture, the colour, the way you've varied the depth of each facet, it just brilliant. Literally :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.